Monday, June 16, 2008

Flip Flop Flaws

1. Biomechanics- the study of the mechanics of a living body, especially of the forces exerted by muscles and gravity on the skeletal structure.
2. Exacerbate- to make pain, emotion, or situation worse.
3. Etiquette-conventional requirements as to social behavior; proprieties of conduct as established in any class or community or for any occasion.

Flip Flop Flaws

With the warm weather come people wearing flip flops. The question of whether or not flip flops are bad for your health. Justin Shroyer did a study of 39 college students to find out. He discovered that when people wear flip flops they take shorter steps and that puts more stress on the body. That means that there is a higher risk of muscle and joint pain in the legs. Shroyer also discovered that while wearing flip flops people tend to scrunch their toes. That kind of pressure causes throbbing and tenderness in the toes. Shroyer isn’t the only person that discovered wearing flip flops are a bad idea. The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons had an increase of heel pain during the warm weather with people wearing flip flops. There is a higher risk in overweight people. Flip Flops give no support of the foot or ankles. There is no harm with wearing them from time to time, but wearing them as an everyday shoe is not wise. I didn’t realize that you actually scrunch your toes, until I watched myself and a few other people tonight. I have noticed on myself that my feet do hurt if I don’t rotate from a flip flop to a tennis shoe.

1 comment:

Gail Bauer said...

Good summary. I was actually at a wedding where the whole wedding party wore flip-flops.